Dark Fiction from Six Feet under the Midwest.
Magnificent Cowlick publishes character-driven stories originating right here in the lovely, friendly, and surprisingly creepy MIdwest. Technically, they're in the horror genre. However, these anthologies, including a novel that leads up to/weaves through/wraps around an anthology, contain stories ranging from twisted and funny, to touching but dark, and all the way to OMG goose-bumpy terror.
We promise a thrilling, chilling, and occasionally guffawing trip through creepy side of our neck of the woods. Join us, won't you?
ROUTE 666: FOUR ON THE FLOOR
Buckle up your courage, it's in for a ride- in Route 666: Four on the Floor. A quartet of dark, Midwestern stories drive you through landscapes of horror... A young woman takes her husband on the road trip of their dreams, with one little hiccup: he's dead. Two brothers discover that a derelict car's trunk might just be big enough to hold eternity. A weekend warrior rides his motorcycle to a tiny Kansas bar and grill, where a dark secret is always on tap. And, a fast-food drive-through satisfies a young man's hunger for fond memories, and fresh meat.
Get some high octane fuel for your nightmares. Hit the road - to madness - in Route 666: Four on the Floor.
BLACK BUTTONS VOL. 1
According to Midwestern folklore, someone who's been cursed by witchcraft can leave a black button lying on the road. If you should pick it up, you'll get more than you bargained for. You see, if you take the button, you also take the curse .
In Black Buttons, Vol. 1, five Midwestern writers conjure up nine dark tales to cast a spell over your imagination.
- On a furnace-hot night in Kansas City, a man with a dark gift gets high off the truths people hide inside. When a storm breaks loose, his addiction main-lines an overdose in a voice he can't deny.
- By accident, a boy loses his prized baseball to the peevish old couple next door. When he and his sister sneak into their house to get it back, they come face-to-face with a nightmare out of left field.
- In the Ozarks, when your pipes clog with a stench that’s ungodly, you call a plumber accustomed to the ungodly. He guarantees satisfaction. Just make sure you know whose satisfaction it is.
- A teenage girl faces violin practice, virginity, prom, and the ancient rites of Spring, as something worth dying for. Gather ye red flowers while ye may…
- Chess is the game of kings, but when a very bad boy gets a very special chess set, it becomes the real game of blood and death and a move no one expects.
- Dracula has a “coming out” moment with the girlfriend he met online, but the Transylvanian loses something in translation.
- Elementary school kids make up silly rules. But those rules have consequences. Step on a crack…
-A woman struggles to keep her sister, and her hopes, alive, as Ecovine Inc. bioengineers food for a starving world. The final answer to their woes blooms in a horror too beautiful to escape.
- When the miracle image of the Virgin Mary shows up on a redneck’s morning toast, forget the jelly and bring on the hostage crisis.
Go ahead, if you dare. Pick up Black Buttons, Vol. 1. Because nobody believes in superstitions, right?
BLACK BUTTONS VOL. 2
According to Midwestern folklore, someone who's been cursed by witchcraft can leave a black button lying on the ground. Pick it up, and you'll get more than you bargained for. What only the true believers know, is that whoever takes the button, also takes the curse .
Black Buttons, Vol. 2, delivers a new collection of novellas and short stories to fuel your darkest dreams. From prom night vengeance and death defying antiques, to manslaughter fairy tales, a taste for killing, and one hell of a fight for the last word, get ready for a midnight ride on the twisting, turning backroads of Bible-belt insanity.
Go ahead. Take home Black Buttons, Vol. 2, if you dare. It should be no problem because you don’t believe in silly old superstitions, right?
HELLZAPALOOZA: THE BEST DAMNED ROCK SHOW EVER!
Rayjay Jahraznik, crazed concert promoter and three-ring king of rock and roll, wants to build an outdoor concert venue in tiny Isabella, Missouri. He’s certain his first event there, a 24-hour rock
and roll festival called “Hillzapalooza,” will be a raging success.
Oh, he’s right about the rage.
From age-old abominations to hippie-fueled horror to the Trickster himself, the local landscape
is a mystical minefield. One wrong step and the natural charm explodes into unnatural harm. Can a rag-tag group of pseudopsychics and a hillbilly healer fight off the evil? Will the determined Reverend Bull pull off a Revelations revolution? Or does Hillzapalooza unleash Hell on earth?
The stage is set for seven authors to rock your world as Sodom and Gomorrah meets Barnum and Bailey with the amp cranked up to eleven.